Subject: Solms vs Wetzlar/M-6 vs M3
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 9:31:24 -0500

I think the point Marvin Moss is trying to make is not whether the M-6
is a fine camera or not.  It is whether the M-6 meets the construction
standards that the IIIG or the M3 set.  The general consensus from
collectors is that it doesn't.   Users are a mixed lot depending on how
much they like the meter and how many times they've had to get stuff
repaired or the rangefinder adjusted.

Users also tend to put more emphasis and thought in terms of
resolution, freedom from coma and flare shutter accuracy etc.  The
collector in me thinks the M-3 DS is the finest M camera ever made and
I'm not alone in that conclusion.  If I buy one again someday I
probably won't use it much as it takes to long to rewind the film and I
like having a meter.  So the user in me says the M-6 is a better camera
because I'm willing to accept the difference in construction and prefer
newer features.  The user in me also likes  motordrives, spot meters, L
zooms and TTL flash.

I got into camera collecting as a hobby because I enjoy photographic
history.  I now look mostly for 35mm cameras (that I can afford)  that
were made in the 50's and early 60's.  I can tell you that there are
many superb cameras in the time period and many manufacturers produced
their most finely machined and constructed models during that time
period before the wide spread usage of plastics.  But I like all metal
cameras with no meters for my collection.    I'm not saying that a IIIG
is a better camera than an R8, just that from certain perspectives it
is much finer in machining and construction.  It is also not to say
that the old lenses were better optically, just some were better in fit
and finish.

Let's face it, each of has a different set of criteria that we use to
in determining which is camera is better. Marvin is a member of the
Leica Historical Society of America and has 100 leicas.  The LTM models
have a number of qualities that disappeared with the M series.  A M-6
has a different appearance and feel from the IIIG.  If you can't see or
appreciate that difference, then you will indeed moan about collectors
living in never-never land.

But please, let's be civil about all of this.  Marvin, Marc and other
collectors have a wealth of information to share whether you respect
them, their ideas and opinions or not.  To ignore that fact is pure
foolishness.  I would rather spend a week talking with collectors about
the history of cameras and looking at various examples than spend a
couple of hours with yet another mediocre photographer who's stuck on
himself.

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador

It's better to be humble than be humbled!

***** Message Was Scanned For Viruses *****