Subject: Re: 50 DR Continued
From: Stephen <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 18:41:56 -0700

I go by the prices I consistently able to sell things for on the West
Coast to the mostly Far Eastern buyers.  Prices elsewhere, are
elsewhere.  I am certainly not up on East Coast Prices.  While Leica
prices were high last year, I  could consistently sell mint chrome
rigid  50 Summicrons for $700.  The most I could get for a DR was $600
with eyes, $500 w/o.  Now those prices are down--along with the
yen/dollar value.

I am not sure what caused the soft coating, whether it was a simple
defect, problems with coating larger elements, something new which did
not work out, wet or dry coating, or whatever.   But I am sure what I am
seeing on upteen zillion scratched chrome Summicrons (whether
collapsible, rigid or DR from the 50's and early 60's) and what I am
talking about is cleaning marks.  Its very common.  I've talked to Don
Chatterton many times about it if you would like to get his views.
Whether Marc's wet coating is a contributing factor to the above, or a
completely separate problem, I don't know.

Isn't Van Stelton on this list?  What do you think John???

Regards,

Stephen Gandy