Subject: Re: 40mm Summicron-C
From: Fred Ward <fward@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 1997 11:41:53 -0300

Like many others, I have used the 40mm Summicron that originally came on
my CL on my CLE and on various M bodies without any difficulty (except
for the lack of an accurately framed viewfinder on the M cameras).

There may be a theoretical incompatibility, but I have never seen any
indication of it causing problems in pictures made with M2, M4, and M4-P
cameras. I seem to recall that someone once observed on here that there
might be a focusing error at close distances at f/2. Again, I would have
no trouble suggesting to anyone that the lens can be used on all
Leica-mount cameras without difficulty. If anyone has even seen a real
problem with this, I would like to know it too.

The 40C is a very nice, compact, and quality optic. If that relatively
inexpensive little lens could only be the model for Leica for other
lenses, then Leitz might not have such a hard time selling its products.
After all, the world has a limited number of people who will pay $3000
to $6000 for a camera and lens. There are many more potential customers
for a package under $1000.

It seems to me that Leitz has been swimming upstream for years (perhaps
decades). When I entered the profession in the 1950s, the dream of new
photographers was to have and use Leicas. Now I see more Leicas on
display around necks at a convention of doctors or lawyers that I see
actually being used by photographers at political conventions or
Olympics. Except for a few holdouts (and I am one), the cameras have
almost no place in the serious world of photography. Certainly there are
a few outstanding exceptions, and we talk about them and their exhibits
on this list. But mainstream professional photography (where Leica was
once a major player) and Leitz have long departed company. Look at any
sporting event, news event, or in the credits in photography magazines.
The photography world changed, and Leitz exists in its own other world.

If the company can continue to earn a profit selling only 20,000 or
cameras a year worldwide and pricing them sky-high to stay in the black,
then perhaps there will always be a Leica. But for you true collectors
out there, I suggest you buy all you can now because as Leica is owned
and managed by other than its founding family, the pressure for profit
will surely overtake any concerns about quality or history. Look at
hundreds of examples of companies that no longer exist. That is truly a
financial reality of the times. How many buyers/collectors will there be
when Leicas hit $10,000 for a body and lens?

Fred Ward