Subject: Re: Staying cool under the collar
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 97 00:35:46 -0400

>Has anybody ever seen a strap that was of cotton or terry cloth where it
>contacts the neck?

Ben,

I like the Op/Tech straps. They are made of a stretchy material
(neoprene, I think) which is very flexible. The wider (about 2") straps
have an elastic woven strap backing the larger, padded portion of the
strap. The large portion of the strap is like a thin sheet of dense foam
rubber backed by fabric, and runs for over half of the length of the
strap, not just in a pad in the middle. The pad and the backing strap
have different degress of stretchiness; this spreads the weight across
your neck and shoulders, so you don't carry the weight with just your
neck.

Many of the straps have quick-release fittings. The thinner straps don't
have the second strap on the back.

The straps are very comfortable and absorb sweat very well. Since they
don't have any edge seams, they don't chaff, but they also don't slip
around. They are especially good for heavy cameras (like my Contax SLRs.)
They also act somewhat like shock absorbers, and help damp any bouncing
the camera may do.

Sometimes they can get hot on the back of your neck, but they are
extremely comfortable otherwise.

Be sure to look at the fittings on them; they make some fittings for the
studs on MF cameras, and some have little fabric loops for the large lugs
that some modern cameras have. The fittings for snap rings are little
wierd-looking flexible black nylon things which also protect the body
from the metal ring.

I've had some of these since the early 1980s; they wear very well.

I have several of them, but I don't seem to have any packaging or labels
for them with addresses or phone numbers. They are pretty common in
well-stocked cameras stores, however.

They come in bright red, green and blue, black and gray. (I have black
and gray ones.) You may have seen them, but been put off by the
brightly-colored ones. If you like the Leica logo, the red strap will set
it off nicely. If you hate it, the black strap will match your electrical
tape. If you like the logo but change your mind, cover both logo and
strap with tape. If you use duct tape on a chrome body, go with gray.

- - Paul