Subject: Re: 50 Summicron DR Update
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 10:22:32 -0400

At 09:00 AM 8/4/97 -0400, Alf wrote:
>Dennis Laney [(1995-2): Leica Collectors Guide. Hove Collectors Books,
>p130-136],
>says also, that the rigid Summicron has been "identical in all details" to
>the screw  version (p 132), and that this version was available till 1957.
>Maybe someone knows the weight of the 6 lens Summicron. Than you (maybe) can
>deduct, whether you have the 7 or 6 lens version.

Well, Laney is wrong on this.  (I've corresponded with him on this;  he was
formerly one of my publishers.)

It has now been established that the collapsible and rigid/NF Summicron
designs -- both of which are seven-element -- are slightly different in
design.  That's why the rigid/NF lens outperforms the collapsible, ever so
slightly, on most lens tests.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!