Subject: Re: The Leica R8 and moving up from Canon
From: Dave Munroe <dmunroe@hpvclmun.vcd.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 97 12:44:37 PDT

> As a weird aside, the F3 which is built as a MF body, can be upgraded to AF
> by the addition of the AF prism. I've never seen or held one, but I've read
> about it in several places and have seen the prisms offered for sale (very
> pricey).

Do you mean the F3AF?  In order to use autofocus with that, it required the
the use of a special lens, only a few focal lengths were available and now
they're fairly rare - you can't use the contemporary Nikon AF lenses.

I'll vouch for the F3 - back in 1988 I bought an F3/T because I thought they'd
soon disappear.  I think the T (titanium) model was available until just
recently, so the F3 has had a record run for Nikon.  The F3 actually got me
interested in F2's -- a real delight for the all-mechanical-except-for-meter
afficionado.

- -Dave