Subject: Re: FINGER PRINT ON LENS
From: ted grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 04 Aug 97 17:56:35 EDT

Cleaning finger prints:

<<<the son of a close friend of mine, put his little finger on the back element
of my 35 Summilux AHSP, when I realized that I tried to remove it with a dry
microfiber cloth (according to  the Leica
instructions), but what happened was that the print wasn't cleaned at all,
instead, the dirt was all over the back lens, since this is the first time  it
happens to me,  I decided leaving it like that and ask for advice, my question
is :  How could I remove that dirt without removing or scratching) the coating
of the back element ?

From that problem a big question is arising now, How hard is the coating,
and the glass, of Leica Lenses ?,>>>>

Hey no problem!!!!!!!!!      It's piece of cake to clean them.

All you need is a clean soft piece of cotton, (when the elastic band in my under
shorts finally gives way I cut the bottom and largest piece of material off and
use it as lens cleaning cloth!  True! :) works wonders and is free! :)

It is absolutely as soft as the material can become, after all it's bottom made
:) and will not scratch the lens surface.  Besides the modern Leica surface
coating is extremely durable unless you are stupid enough to clean it with sand
paper.

So now to cleaning the back element:

Breath on it very hard to create a fog or spit if you wish, and use the clean
cotton cloth or lens cleaning material and clean it off.  If there is still some
smudging, just breath on it again and use a cleaner cloth. Or if worse comes to
the worse just use your shirt tale!

And that's it! Simple and pure and I've used that method for years and my lenses
are still as good as new!

Yep and there are going to be all kinds of suggestions of lens cleaning fluid,
special antiscratch cloth and a bunch more! That is all well and good as it also
works!  But it never fails, that when you need to clean one in a hurry in the
middle of the city or jungle and the world is a thousand miles away! Spit and
heavy breathing will do it everytime! :)

ted