Subject: Re: chrome/black/titanium
From: "Hans Pahlen" <hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 16:26:30 +0200

> What is the history of this situation? Is it traditional to buy chrome
> lenses for a chrome body, and the titanium lens for the titanium body?

In the 1950 and 1960:s the overwhelming amount of bodies and lenses were
chrome. A small amount of black bodies were made, and for these there wer=
made some black coloured lenses. These early black lenses/bodies are rare
and collectible.
From the late 1960:s and on, most lenses were made in black, and stayed
that way until a few years ago, until Leica realized that many Leica user=
wanted chrome lenses for chrome bodies. When the titan body came, along
came also a bunch of titan lenses.
So, today you have a choice. Some people mix chrome and black, and some
don=B4t. I prefer black equipment, but if I find a nice chrome lens at a
favourable price, I dont mind using it on a black body. For nostalgic
reasons, I have chrome 35 and 50 mm Summicrons, because they look nice on
my chrome M2. I have also the later black variants, that are the ones I
mostly use on my black M4 and M6.
If I was to buy a chrome M6 today, I would continue using black lenses,
because they weigh  a little less than the new  chrome variants. But of
course, the new line of chrome lenses have a very solid feel, and have a
nice finish. It is really a matter of taste.
Maybe the history in this is that black was considered "pro", in the
1970:s, and everyrone wanted to look like a "pro". But preferences change
over the time...
Regards, Hans
Mail: hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se
Home: http://www.komvux.mark.se/hp635.htm