Subject: Re: Old Leicas
From: "Roger Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 12:48:49 -0700

On  5 Aug 97,  hmphoto wrote:

> A friend recently inherited a couple of old leicas.  One is a SS M3 #
> 984217 with meter MR and a Summilux 50 1.4.  She also got what I assume
> to be a III (It is a screw mount body) of some version the # on it is
> 397598 with a 3.5cm Elmar #271314.
>
> >From Ben's site I know the summilux is a 1933 lens, but his M3 #s stop
> short of the 984xxx number.  Could anyone give me the rough ages of the
> M3, and what version the other camera is with dates on the lense and
> body.  Also I am unfamilliar with the III, if that is what it is, and any
> basic opperating instructions I could pass along would be great.

M3 = 1959
It's a IIIC from 1943-1946. Probably closer to 1946
The Elmar is 1935
Ck the Summilux again. I show it to have been built from 1959 to 1968,
with a later design appearing in 1966 which is still in production.

Can't help with the instructions.
- --
Roger Beamon
       Naturalist & Photographer
       Leica Historical Society Of America
       mailto:beamon@primenet.com

                EQUALITY:
   Prosperity or egalitarianism--you have to choose.
   I favor freedom--you never achieve real equality anyway;
   you simply sacrifice prosperity for an illusion.
               -- Mario Vargas Llosa