Subject: Re: Print Quality from M6 vs. Medium Format
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 1997 16:47:58 -0700

At 04:04 PM 8/6/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
>     What is the opinion of those of you who have had the opportunity of
>     comparing enlarged B&W and color prints (16x20 or larger, 20x30) taken
>     with M6 versus medium format systems (i.e. Mamiya 7 or Hasselblad for
>     example)?  I am thinking in terms of sharpness, tonality, grain, etc.
>
>     Can results from M6 compete with MF in gallery exhibitions in
>     technical qualities of the print?
>
>     Ken

No. At least nine times more information in a MF image vs 35mm image. But,
depending upon the subject matter, the appearance of MF quality can be
achieved with 35mm. No blank skys, large clouds, no large blank medium tone
anything. Lots of contrast, lines, backlighting, etc., will reduce the
appearance of grain and other technical aberrations. If everything is
perfect, you can squeeze a 20x30 from 35mm and, from a distance, give the
appearance of a larger film size. Over the past 47 years, I have printed
thousands of prints from 35mm, 2-1/4 sq., 4x5, and 8x10. There is NO
substitute for a larger film size. Period.

35mm cannot directly compete, but it can appear to compete if everything is
carefully controlled, including subject matter.

Jim