Subject: Re: M-135 differences
From: Federico Quintana <fquintana@interlink.com.ar>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 97 23:50:28 -0300

>To All:
>
>I recently sold all of my Canon gear and am going to invest the 10,000 into
>a Leica system.
>I think I've decided on the following outfit.
>What do you think?
>
>(2) M-6
>24 2.8 asph
>35 2.0 asph
>50 2.0
>90 2.8
>135 4.0
>
>I'd like to add an R body or two with more glass later.
>What is everybody's opinion of the (2) 135 lenses for the M?
>Is the 135 4.0 hard to focus and frame?
>Is the 135 2.8 not as sharp or brilliant at corresponding f-stops as the
>135 4.0?
>
>I appreciate the comments.  I'm really excited about the switch for the
>color and lighter weight.
>Thanks,
>Robb Willliamson - Denver, Colorado

Hello Robb, and luggers

     I recently made that investment myself and opted for the exact same
setup that interests you.  I am to say the least, very, very happy with
all the lenses and the M6.  I don't have the 135 yet but its coming next
and it will be the Tele-Elmarit without a second thought.
     All I've heard about this lens is that: the quality is almost
apochromatic, you can use it wide open and turn excellent results and it
is light weight and practical. On the other hand the Elmarit with goggles
is reputed to be not as good in optical performance, heavy and
cumbersome, defeating the purpose of an M system.
     The 24 ASPH is in my humble opinion "incredible" in all respects and
I have already shot with it in difficult light situations, wide open  at
close range and so forth and I find it stunning. No bench test or
scientific testing methods though, just Velvia and a good loop.  It's
incredibly sharp I can see no vignetting and color reproduction is unreal.
     The 90/2.8 50/2 and 35 ASPH are a complete system by themselves and
work great with the lens accessory that mounts them together.  With this
you can have the M with one lens and the other two will easily fit in a
light jacket pocket.
     However, I've had some second thought's about the 90/2 since the
wider f/stop can be useful even if its reputation is not as good as the
Elmarit.  I've seen a friend's result and they are not disappointing.
The slides seem to have a softer image quality which I find quite
attractive especially when shooting portraits.
     I think I'll wait and later get one of the Summilux 50 or 75 or
Noctilux to have a really low light lens.  That will also be a major
dilemma...

P.S.  My M6 has been working perfectly for the past six month.  I cross
my fingers but I really would be surprised if it let me down. (and angry)

Federico

Buenos Aires