Subject: Roy Moss on the DR: THE ANSWERS!
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 1997 02:31:12 -0400

Roy Moss, "The Eyes Have It!"  VIEWFINDER 28:1 (First Quarter, 1995), p. 38.

Roy says there are two runs of the DR lens but does not give a splitting
point either by date or serial number.

11318/SOOIC-MN	Early.  single focusing scale (either feet or meters) with
	reproduction ratios.  Marked '5cm', the last Leica production 			lens, to
my knowledge, to bear a centimeter marking for the focal 			length.
11318/SOMNI		Later.  dual focusing scale (both feet and meters) but no
reproduction ratios.  Marked '50mm'.
14002/SDP))		the eyes for the above lenses

Roy goes on to say, "[O]n most M6 cameras, when used in the normal focusing
range at or near infinity, the rear of the len's (sic) focusing helicoid
_may_ be obstructed by the casing of the photo cell requiring that the M6's
photo cell casing be modified."

MJS NOTE:  It is my understanding that the eyes for each version of the DR
lens are not interchangeable.  I believe the early eyes all had the polygon
surrounding the Leitz name, while later eyes are simply engraved with the
Leitz name without a surround.

I do not know the year or serial number of the break.  Mine is an early
one:  1586763 dating from 1958.

Marc

Marc James Small
Cha Robh Bas Fir, Gun Ghras Fir!