Subject: Re: Mechanical, electronic, and motors
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 1997 17:42:01 -0700

At 02:02 AM 8/7/97, Oddmund wrote:

>The "best camera" doesn't exist. It depends upon what you want to do with
>it! A camera is a camera, and any camera is good if you have some clear
>ideas and a purpose. Electronic or mechanical? Just a matter of personal
>preferences and habits. An electronic M7 will not change the world. For
>some photographers it will be *the camera*. For those who don't like it,
>there will still be a number of previous models available. Well, at least
>for some years...
>
>Oddmund <garvik@interliger.fr>  //  St-Jean-de-Luz, France

I have to agree completely with Oddmund. I had two R4sp's and needed mirror
lock up so I bought an R6. After a couple of years, I discovered that I
used the R6 most of the time so when the R8 was announced, I sold one R4sp
and the R6 (mechanical) and bought two new R7's (they are electronic, have
MLU, and were on sale.) I didn't consider an R6.2 because it wasn't on
sale. I usually shoot with two cameras so there is an advantage in having
them alike. I got a chrome R7 and a black R7. Makes it easy to grab the
proper camera when setting up. I don't use my R cameras on automatic very
often, but it's nice when I feel it's appropriate. The goodie on the R7
that I really like, and would keep me from ever buying an R6.2, is the half
shutter speeds. In tight spots, when you need max DOF and/or you are using
MLU, half shutter speeds are a god-send. I use my "electronic" R7 on manual
99% of the time. If it were "mechanical" I would not care, as long as it
had the particular features that I want. I wouldn't care if it didn't have
a meter but as long as it does, the spot mode is the most important. I
really have no use for matrix metering either, so the R8 is not attractive
to me. They didn't capture MY perspective on what's important in a scene in
the matrix computer. The R8 is not a system yet either. It's almost like
buying a car without seats. Yes you can use it, a little awkward, it'll be
awhile before we finish everything. The three features that have become
very dear to me are MLU, half shutter speeds, and the motor winder. And the
motor winders never leave my cameras. The R4sp and the R6 that I sold were
never used without the winder attached. I kept the winders for the new R7's
and when the purchasing shop tried the R6 I turned in, they discovered that
the film advance lever mechanism would sometimes not advance far enough to
cock the shutter. It was probably this way from the very beginning but I
never knew it. It was a simple fix and the shop took care of it.

For those of you who do not have a motor on your camera, it's really a
revelation. By eliminating the thumb stroke, your vision is not broken. At
least 90% of the time I use a tripod. The motor allows me to take advantage
of quick bracketing and/or getting the shots off at the right time and not
miss what I want. Having to stop and manually wind a lever is very
disruptive. Especially in an awkward situation. Like on a hillside or on
unstable footing. Shortly after getting my first R3, I was working in
Germany. I was walking through downtown Bonn and saw a camera shop. I went
in and happened to see a winder in the case. I asked to see it and ended up
buying it (the price was right... late 70's.) That was one of the best
purchases I've made. I started using it and it was like having a whole
different perspective on photography. I stopped thinking about taking A
picture, I started taking photographs. Since that day, I've never had an R
camera without a winder attached. If you don't use a motor, you should try
it. You will like it. And it definitely will make a difference.

This post has gotten much longer than planned. Everyone takes photographs
for different reasons. What's important to me, someone else would have no
use for. But if your camera does what you want, whether it is electronic or
mechanical, makes little difference.

Jim