Subject: 35mm vs 2 1/4, my real world experience
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 8:53:36 -0500

I sold my Hasselblad stuff because in my real-life location situations =

the results from it were often not as sharp as what I get from 35mm.   =

Sure there is less grain but it is also often less sharp.  Some will =

swear other-wise and I agree with the theory and I have some great 2 =

1/4 negs but I have much  more that  I'll never use too!   35mm gives =

me better results! (note: 10" x 14" is my standard print size)

I think it's due to three reasons:  Less depth of field for medium =

format lenses,  less actual resolution (lpm) of medium format lenses =

and subject and camera movement due to having to stop down further to =

achieve more depth of field.  There is always some wind in Ecuador no =

matter where you go and you can forget about hand holding a Hasselblad =

anywhere in my opinion.

I found my studio stuff from it was incredibly sharp, but those =

situations eliminated all three of the above factors.  =

On the bright side, it's my Hasselblad money that is paying for my M =

equipment.  I'm anxiously awaiting that new tele M-6!!!!!!  Thanks for =

the inside scoop!!!!

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador