Subject: Re: Standard Focal Lengths
From: Jeff Spirer <jeffs@hyperreal.org>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 1997 14:28:01 -0700

At 02:34 PM 8/8/97 -0600, Chris Fortunko wrote:
>LUGs and Rolleis,
>
>Last night, I did a little thinking about the so-called standard focal
>lengths. It is widely thought that 50mm is the standard, or normal, length
>for 35mm cameras and 80mm is standard, or normal, for 6-by-6 (cm) cameras.

Many people see a range for "normal" rather than just a single focal
length.  In 35mm, this is often somewhere between 40mm and 58mm.  "Normal"
in MF is a little more difficult because of all the different formats.
There is a useful page on 35mm equivalence based on print size at the
following URL:

http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/philg/photo/lens-table.html

>I believe that the 75mm focal length is normal, because Rolleiflex negatives
>are cropped for printing to fit something like 8-by-10 or similar standard
>format in Europe and elsewhere. If we assume the same for the 35mm format,
>then there is an even stronger argument for the 40mm lens being considered
>normal, particularly for snapshots.

Speaking as someone "elsewhere," I don't crop most of my 6x6's when I
print, so assuming 8x10 isn't necessarily appropriate, which is why the
page above might be useful.  And for slides, the first column always applies.

Jeff Spirer
Axiom Records: http://www.hyperreal.org/axiom/
Photos: http://www.hyperreal.org/~jeffs/gallery.html