Subject: Re: R 180 2.0 Apo Summicron
From: "Thomas J. Donovan" <75674.3465@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 08 Aug 97 22:44:34 EDT

David Almy,

Re:  180 f2 "cron"

I've worked with this lens for an afternoon & took a bunch of slides. The slides
were awesome; very crisp indeed :~)! At that time, it was not in my budget;
later on I opted for the 70-180 Vario APO Elmarit, which as you know, is a top
performer.

In the BAS report on R lenses, July 1996, page 23, there are sharpness &
contrast diagrams for f2, f4 & f8 from the center thru the edges. What's amazing
is that the lines are almost coincidental & straight across; a quote from the
test is as follows: "Both at full aperture & stopped down (test apertures f2,
f4, &f8 ) the lens offers almost the same incredible optical performance".

The header statement for it's optical performance is: " Virtually uncompromising
apochromatic correction......A lens of superlative quality ".  The only other
lens in a similar focal length/speed, that is as good, is the Contax Zeiss 200
f2 APO Sonnar;
per tests that were done by a German photo magazine.

I'd say, if you want this gem; go get it ;~)!

Tom D.