Subject: Re: Standard Focal Lengths
From: "Garbutt, Robert" <RGarbutt@ncrpexec.telstra.com.au>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 12:58:00 +1000

I know that there is a mathematical basis to the standard lens question
- - ie equations based on viewing distance from the print and angle of
view of the lens but . . . there is also a very subjective side of
'standard' which I believe is based on individual tendencies of
perception.

Thus the standard lens for me is the one which I chose most often when I
frame a scene.  I know this is a bit circular but what is important here
is to identify the way you see the world and choose a lens appropriate
to that as your standard.   If it is detail that tends to take your eye,
'standard' may be the equivalent of 90mm focal length for 35mm film.
If you are someone who is taken by the larger view - context and all -
maybe 35mm is standard.

I am a 90mm standard lens photographer.  I am most comfortable working
from a distance but appreciate detail more often than the larger scene.
This will probably be too imprecise a usage of the term 'standard lens'
for some, but it is important to deal subjectively and practically with
some questions, as well as technically.

Regards,
Rob.
 ----------
 >  From: Jeff Spirer
 >  To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us; rollei@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
 >  Subject: Re: Standard Focal Lengths
 >  Date: Saturday, 9 August 1997 7:28AM
 >

 >  At 02:34 PM 8/8/97 -0600, Chris Fortunko wrote:
 >  >LUGs and Rolleis,
 >  >
 >  >Last night, I did a little thinking about the so-called standard
focal
 >  >lengths. It is widely thought that 50mm is the standard, or normal,
length
 >  >for 35mm cameras and 80mm is standard, or normal, for 6-by-6 (cm)
cameras.