Subject: Tips to reading the LUG quickly
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 11:35:06 -0500

If you want to read through the Lug quickly......

First, subscribe to the digest version.  You get all of the messages in =

one (or more)  group (s) instead of 100 messages individually.   =

Reason, you can page down through one digest a whole lot faster than =

opening, closing and or deleting a bunch of individual messages.  I =

don't read my E-mail everyday and it's nice just to have 10 digests =

waiting for me rather than 600 messages.  Besides that I use my work =

E-mail account and I don't want to risk discarding work messages with a =

block of  LUG messages.

Second, save multiple digests to a single file and if you use Windows, =

view them in MS word or something.  You can page through a single =

document faster than you can open and close individual ones.  If you =

want to respond to something, and are using windows, you can cut the =

block out and paste it directly  into your E-mail program.

Thirdly, with the digest  you aren't interrupted by incoming messages =

all of the time.  If you think the LUG is bad, I subscribed to another =

list from RIT that was supposed to be primarily for photo-educators.  =

(If my schedule wasn't already full enough, I'm teaching a college =

level class this spring.)   Anyhow.... It was a novice / what kind of =

battery does my camera use or I found this camera in the closet and I =

don't know how to use it kind of list and the traffic was unbelievable, =

 I got over 400 messages the first day and they all seemed to come in =

as I was working.... interrupting me.  It took me a week before I was =

able to get off the list.

Lastly: the more lists you subscribe to..... the more irritated you'll =

be by the increased volume of the LUG and off-topic threads.  I'm down =

to two lists and will drop the other soon.

DISCLAIMER:  Your Software may work differently than mine but.....  =

this is by far the fastest way to read lots of info with mine.

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador =

***** Message Was Scanned For Viruses ***** =