Subject: Re: Seeing (was: Blind test)
From: "Patrick G. Sobalvarro" <pgs@sobalvarro.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 10:23:52 -0700

At 10:33 AM 8/11/97, Oddmund Garvik wrote:
>I think SEEING is the important thing. This is the most critical factor in
>photography, distinguishing good photographers from bad.

Oddmund, thank you for your fresh viewpoint on this.  Your insight here has
really changed my life.  I'm a struggling art gallery owner in Greenwich
Village and had been wondering why it was that nobody was buying photographs
from our latest exhibition, PICTURES BY THE BLIND, and when I would ask
people I respect -- Frank Webster, Ainslie Ellis, Joan Fontcuberta -- they
would all say, "It's because you've been skimping on the equipment budget
for your blind photographers!"  So I would bring out the old checkbook and
fork over for another M6 or Technikardan... let me tell you, it's been rough
sledding.

Thank goodness you had the courage and insight to tell me what nobody else
was willing to say.  I'm going to close the show now and put all those kids
on a bus back to the New York State School for the Blind.  Now, I wonder if
I can get a refund on that Leica and Linhof gear...