Subject: Re: T400CN
From: "Charles E. Dunlap" <cdunlap@rupture.ucsc.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 14:30:03 -0700

Responding to text from two previous posts.

>At 200ASA it seems much better than
>at 400ASA

I used the densitometer at my local lab to test the sensitivity of T400CN.
For the normal C-41 development time the film is 200ASA. I will soon test
the film to determine the best development time. Fortunately my lab will
develop C-41 dip and dunk at N, N-1, and N-2. I'm not sure yet what the
_exact_ times are, but I will ask them.

>It is virtually grain less as it is
>processed
> >  by
> >  colour neg labs.

It does have very fine grain and high resolving power. It's much finer
grained than Tri-X, and comes close to T-Max 100. I just compared T-Max 100
to Agfa APX 25, both developed in T-Max developer. The T-Max 100 is
slightly less grainy than the T400CN and the Agfa 25 is less grainy still.
The differences might be irrelevant depending on what you are looking for
in you photographs.

I'm working on standardizing on my local lab's processing. They return
scratch-free negatives developed under reproducible time, temperature, and
agitation for $3.00/roll. And they let me use their densitometer to test
film response.

T400CN is a remarkable film, and it's worth a try if you have a local lab
you can trust. I wouldn't abandon my own processing if all you have access
to is a 1-hour C-41 processing line. On the other hand, if you need to get
printable, fine grain B+W negatives away from home, T400CN is an attractive
film.

Happy shooting,

Charlie

              Charles E. Dunlap
         Earth Sciences Deptartment
          University of California
            Santa Cruz, CA 95064
Tel.: (408) 459-5228    Fax.: (408) 459-3074
      http://emerald.ucsc.edu/~cdunlap
      mailto:cdunlap@rupture.ucsc.edu