Subject: Re: Which Standard Focal Lengths ?
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 17:39:39 -0800

- ---------and Mon, 11 Aug 1997 02:43:49 -0400 (EDT) Alf Breul wrote:

>There is a usual computation for the standard focus: It's the root out of
>2*(square of larger side of negative format), e.g. 36 mm is the larger side
>of the 35 mm format, then
>
>standard = root of (2 * 36**2) = root of (2*1296) = 50.9117 (mm)
>
>or for MF:
>
>MF         = root of (2 * 60**2) = root of (2*3600) = 84.8528 (mm)
>
>which shows also the known fact, that the usual MF standard focus tends to be
>a (small) wide angle.

'Standard' focal length has, I know, been stated to be the length of the
diagonal of the film format. The formula given above is of course something
completely different, and additionally for most 6x6 cameras the actual
format is 56mm x 56mm (being _really_ picky), giving about 79.2mm as a
diagonal. So 80mm is about as close as anybody is likely to get. On the
other hand, 'standard' focal length, if calculated in this fashion, should
really be left in the textbook. If you stand facing  grand mountain (or
other) panorama for the first time, you tend to use as your 'normal' vision
part of your peripheral vision, as well as the almost automatic scanning
function of your eyes. 'Wideangle' is natural for this type of situation.
After you have looked at the scene for a while, you focus on details, and
eventually try to make out things at the limit of your visual ability.
'Long Focus' is 'normal' now.

I don't have any data in front of me on this topic, but the human eye can
highly resolve only a very tiny angle, certainly a lot less than a 90mm or
even 135mm lens on 35mm takes in. Anything beyond that has strong
qualitative falloff. On the other hand, real life does not have a mat
around it, except in special circumstances. Usually, we can scan 360
degrees in all directions if we please, letting our brain do the
'post-processing' to take care of distortion issues and take in as much
detail as we want (up to the limits of our visual acuity). We always have
wideangle and telephoto built in, so what is standard?

I think in the end a 'normal' or standard focal length is one that shows
that angle of view of a subject that looks natural to us; for scenics and
architecture that often means that the picture was taken with a wideangle
lens, and for portraits and other details that means that the picture was
taken with a long focus lens.

If we see a picture which was taken with a focal length that shows an image
perspective that is definitely counter to our usual interaction with that
type of subject, then the picture was taken with a 'non-standard' focal
length.

My $0.02Cdn :-).

   *           Henning J. Wulff
  /|\     Wulff Photography & Design