Subject: Seeing (was: Blind test)
From: Oddmund Garvik <garvik@serveur.interliger.fr>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 15:34:23

I didn't try to offend anyone personally with my last message. I was
judging certain attitudes and practices, and this may please, or deplease.
I am not, however, an oracle, or a guru, so my points of view are what they
are, my own humble thoughts.

I didn't say that Erwin is "per definition ignorant of or insensitive to
cultural or artistic heritage", neither did I treat him "as artistic
ignoramus". Neither did I talk about "pictures of either old toilet seats,
weatherbeaten old boards, or a lot of people on the street wandering
around, or meaningless so called symbolism". I don't consider photography
as an art. SEEING is probably an art. I am a documentary photographer, far
away from "meaningless socalled symbolism".

I don't blame anyone doing his own, quiet photography, being happy with
that. I don't blame "amateur" photographers at all, on the contrary. I
don't find the terms "amateur" and "professional" very informative BTW.
Good photography is beyond that.

I blame the priggish and snobbish Leica owner thinking that photography is
owning and playing with a Leica, being a member of a Leica Society, being
"esteemed" for nothing. I blame the condescending attitudes to other
cameras and brands with less glamour than Leicas. I blame a certain
unconcern.

I have met Leica users in many countries, and I have found all kinds of
attitudes. People are different. The LUG is reflecting the same fact. That
is why I never complained about the diversity of this forum. We may
disagree, but any of us has the right to express points of view and ideas
about photography, Leicas and other rangefinders, even about the R8...

My points of view are certainly moral, probably "intolerant" as well. We
are living in the WORLD, and all our acts may be judged against this world.
I know that many LUGers live in a country where the world is defined
"differently", or doesn't really exist... Ethnocentrism is a part of the
blindness I was talking about in my previous message. You may say: "We
don't care", "who cares?", come up with the "political agenda" argument,
whatever. I say that you will never get rid of the crucial reality. In our
time we cannot live and act as if the world didn't exist. So we must try to
approach the way of our individual lives to the way of the world. This is
the only responsible attitude.

If I am preaching, it's against inconsciousness and irresponsibility. I
don't have many illusions about the result of this preaching, but I
continue anyway. I also continue my "protest photography" even if I know it
is just a drop in the sea. Bear over with me!

Oddmund