Subject: Re: M6 Camera strap
From: Welch <Bill.Welch@pressroom.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 23:23:43 -0700

Hi Lugs. I'm just back from a long trip. I've been editing slides, doing B&W darkroom
work, and wading through hundreds of messages from this group that were awaiting me.

On the straps: I like the Domke Grippers for my SLRs that Donal and Dan mentioned. But
for my Leica Ms, I've been using what I believed to be older-style Leica straps. They
may, however, be the same as the R straps Marc mentioned. It is a bit wider than the
current M6 strap and the attachment to the camera is different -- two opposing flat
metal hooks. Does that sound like the R version you mentioned, Marc? I ran into a guy
shooting Leica Rs on my trip, and he had the same strap.

I picked up several of them at a camera show some time ago. I find them a bit more
positive feeling than the current M6 strap -- though it would be my second choice for
RFs.

A couple other quick impressions. I shot a lot of Fuji Provia, and it is one fabulous
film, just right for Hawaii's light. I had some nice success with Velvia, but it's a bit
much in some conditions. And in low light, Kodachrome 200 was fabulous. I pushed a few
rolls of indoor stuff to 500 (1 and one-third stop push). When I brought it to my lab
here to be sent to Kodalux, they chuckled -- the K-line processing is so unreliable that
to assume you could push it and expect good results seemed a bit audacious to them. But
the Kodachrome processing came through great. The EI 500 Kodachrome looks really nice to
me under the loupe -- grainy, yes, but very beautiful nonetheless, and particularly well
suited to an indoor, documentary type of Leica M shooting.

Regards,

Bill Welch