Subject: Re: M5
From: ted grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 15 Aug 97 16:08:30 EDT

Paul wrote:

<<<Several people wrote me about the "wimp" comment. I was tired and trying to
be funny.>>>>>

Paul,

The comment couldn't have been taken any other way but "funny" for heavans sake.
Some guys have no sense of humour! :)

<<<I think it was a strange idea to hang the camera sideways; it just
doesn't seem very practical.>>>>>>

Well that's quite true. However the elf designers keep thinking about castles on
the Rhine and wild flowers in the mountains and one camera per person and how
nice it would be to have it hanging vertical. It is typical of the theoryist
philosophy that things will be great in theory, but in real time use by true
users, theory isn't worth the powder to blow it to the moon.

You should have seen the look of shock on their faces when I dropped the two
M5's against the third one in the middle! :) Hell it was worth the couple of
bump marks to give them all a lesson in reality.:)

I bet they never did anything like a "crash dummy" test in their lives!:)

So that's the story of the three lug M5's. :)

<<<Now that I think of it, this is the second story I've heard about you
banging (or threatening to bang) your Leicas around in front of Leica
officials>>>>>

The one thing it does is get their attention "REAL QUICK!" :)

The other side of it is, if you threaten to do something like smashing the
camera to pieces in front of national TV crews, you had better be prepared to do
it. Otherwise you blow your credibility. By the same token Leica would never
want to have national TV coverage of one of their products being destroyed
because they didn't provide the quality of product or service they are reknowned
for.

Bad press mon ami! :)

ted