Subject: Scratched film - how to avoid
From: bholmes@frii.com (Ben Holmes)
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 16:01:54 -0600 (MDT)

This little thread on scratched film made me think about a problem I have
had in the past, and how I solved it.

I used to have a BAD scratching problem with my M cameras. It seemed that
every roll I put through them ended up scratched. I started to look at the
possible sources and by eliminating the obvious ones I have completely
eliminated the problem.

It's easy to blame the lab, but if you choose a lab that uses dip and dunk
equipment vs. roller transport machines, there is little possibility for
scratches to occur there. In dip n dunk machines the film is loaded onto
racks that do not touch the film except around frame 18-21, but only on the
sprockets. The film is looped in half over a roller that is hourglass shaped
so that only the edges are touched. The racks are lifted and dropped via a
series of gears and chains, again the film is not touched. It is processed,
and then dried in a heated cabinet. At this stage it is removed from the
racks, placed on a spike with other film to be either mounted or sleeved.
Only during this final phase is the film touched - the techs are supposed to
wear gloves.

Scratching by the lab usually happens when the film is run through a mounter
or a neg carrier for prints, or if it is cleaned of water spots or scum.

The most likely source for scratches on your film is your camera. Grit,
dirt, fibers etc get inside your camera's back and lodge between the film
and the pressure plate. These scratches usually run the length of the film,
and are most often found on the base side.

The Cure: Visit your lab and ask to tour the E6 or C41 department, depending
on what film you use. Ask what kind of equipment they use to run your film.
If it's roller transport, change labs. Watch the techs handle film - ask to
be shown the steps from start to finish. If you have concerns, talk to the
lab manager.

Blow out your gear as often as possible. Every time I go to the lab I ask to
use their air. A good lab will have good clean filtered air available. Open
the camera's back, open the shutter using the B setting and blow it out.

Turn your camera bag inside out and wash the damn thing once in a while!
Junk accumulates in the pockets and in the bottom - clean it out!

By using air frequently, changing to a lab that uses dip n dunk, and keeping
my bag clean I have completely eliminated scratches that used to plague my
pictures.
Regards,

Ben W. Holmes
Boulder, CO