Subject: Re: 35mm M lens
From: "Charles E. Albertson" <chucko@ricochet.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 15:44:46 -0700

At 09:02 AM 8/15/97 -0500, you wrote:

>I'm planning a photo trip to Bhutan with my M6 plus 50-90-135 and
>thinking about replacing the 35.  1) should I keep the present lens and
>try to find someone who can put it right; 2) should I buy a used newer
>model 35mm Summicron; which one; 3) should I get a new current
>Summincron; 4) is the newest 35mm aspheric appreciably different
>photographically than its immediate predecessor; 5) having read
>wonderful things about the 1.4 35mm aspheric, is the stretch (pricewise)
>worth it; I'm not too concerned about shooting at super low light
>levels; is the weight/bulk an impediment?

Len--
	I think if you are otherwise satisfied with your present lens, you might
try to have it repaired before shelling out for a new one. If you're not
impressed with Leica USA's repair service, there are a couple of private
repair services (whose names pop up on the LUG regularly) who might handle it.

	If not...I've had the Summicron-M ASPH for a little over a week, and I
like it a lot. It's a tad sharper overall than my 1980-vintage Summicron-M,
and is a lot more resistant to flare. Mind you, my impressions are strictly
subjective and I've only shot a few rolls of film with it. Erwin Puts has
done more rigorous testing of those two lenses and the Summilux-M ASPH, and
posted his report a few weeks ago. If you don't have it and would like to
read it, send me a private e-mail and I'll forward it to you. The
Summicron-M remains an excellent lens, though, and you may be able to pick
one up new for less than it was selling for a few months ago. I have heard
that the ASPH will replace the Summicron-M in the Leica catalog, and some
dealers have started selling their stocks of Summicron-Ms at a reduced price.

	If you can afford a new Summicron-M, it might be worth the extra $100-200
for the ASPH. But if you want to save a few hundred dollars, I don't think
you'd be sacrificing anything by looking for a new (but discounted)
Summicron-M. Also, it's purely speculation on my part (I'm not a dealer),
but I wouldn't be surprised to see more Summicron-Ms on the used market in
the next few months as people trade up to the ASPH (though I'm not planning
on parting with mine!).

	I've never tried the Summilux-M ASPH, so will let someone else rave about
it. I haven't needed the extra speed, either, at least not since Kodak came
out with T-Max P3200.

Chuck Albertson
Seattle, Wash.