Subject: Re: M-135 differences
From: "Boreham" <boreham@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 06:04:15 +0100

LUG,
I have only today joined the LUG, so have not seen any previous postings on
this subject, and may be repeating comments already made. If so humble
apologies.
Over the years I have used most of the Leica M 135mm lenses. On two of the
Elmarits I have owned I experienced focussing problems because the
spectacle optics were not properly adjusted.This is easy to check ( by
checking for a single image on a distant subject) and adjust by using a lot
of patience combined with a small screwdriver in the two holes at right
angles to each other in the housing of the right hand spectacle lens. The
holes are filled with gunge in the factory. this needs to be removed to get
at the screw heads.
Properly adjusted both original (concave rear element) and current (convex)
are superb, but the current one is better at close quarters. The current
model has a much stiffer spectacle housing.
One of the two Elmarits was a nearly new current version and the other was
a early original type, so age is not apparently a factor.
I discussed the problem with Leica UK, who are used to doing the above
repair (for £90), but they cement the spectacle lens in place after
adjustment. Presumably this happens in the factory too, but still results
in later problems.
After the above experiences I have stayed away from the 135 Elmarits and
used Tele-Elmars. I have owned the latest telescopic hood version and
(currently) a 1965 original type. The optics are the same design but
manufactured 30 years  apart.  I can see no difference in performance,
which is superb. I have no difficulty getting sharp focussing in spite of
the smaller viewfinder.
Hope these comments are useful.
Mike Boreham