Subject: Re: What's your Failure Rate?
From: Kari Eloranta <kve@dopey.hut.fi>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 12:08:45 +0300 (EET DST)

Donal wrote:
> ROB HEYMAN wrote:
>  Anyone have other suggestion for long exposures on the run?
>
> In my experience, left hand under lens, right on shutter side and both
> elbows tucked in tightly, feet a bit apart and everythings solid but not
> tense.
snip

Good advise. Let me just add that one migh want to practice extending
the index and middle fingers of the left hand to support the rim of
the lens. After focusing that is - stabilizes better and you cannot mess
the focus then anymore.  Can make the difference of nailing or not the
1/60 or 1/125 shot on 85mm with an SLR etc.

> Anyway, with above recommended position and practice, 1/8 and 1/4 second
> posible with Ms, especially if you shoot a lot and look for the good
> one.  And use a soft release button, if possible.  (apparently Nikon's
> for f3 works on M--recommendation from Luis Castenada who says the most
> important advantage of the R8 is less vibration from mirror.)
>
> The best solution is a gyro, but they make a lot of noise.  I do think
> Canon is on to something with their stabilizer lenses.  They just
> weren't too bright producing pro-oriented lens that is too slow.  But
> someday.....
>
> Imagine a 35 f/1.4 and a stabilizer??

I'm doubtful about these gizmos. IMHO the most captivating low light
situations tend to be either those where one can either use a tripod or
where the intimacy of the situation means that any loud gyro etc. ruins
the whole thing.

One reason why I like old Canon F-1 is the as far as I know it is
one of the very few SLR's where you can with right hand ring and little
finger alone flip the mirror up. In a low light situation compose, focus
and decide exposure the usual way. Then, a split second before you trip
the shutter, you can flip the mirror up while holding the camera steady
AND without having to change the grip! If you have an external finder in
the flash shoe this works even better - you can follow the subject as
long as the focus etc. stays the same.

With some SLR's you can shoot M-Leica times. M is better because it
makes less noise etc. But just in case it's not available...

Kari Eloranta