Subject: Re: New M6 Commemorative
From: bholmes@frii.com (Ben Holmes)
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 09:01:55 -0600 (MDT)

>The special editions are a separate
>issue. Their existence doesn't mean Leica has given up on users.
>
>-Charlie

Consider that Leica has been producing these LTD ED items not for collectors
but for the participants of events like weddings, members of clubs and
societies, govts, etc. What better way to plant yourself deep into the
carriage set than to build these LTD ED bodies. I would suppose that the
royal wedding bodies are purchased for gifts to the members of the wedding
parties. It could be that Leica builds a slew of em, sells most of them to
whomever placed the order at a price less than that at which they appear on
the collector mkt, and then with the overrage they mark them up and lay them
on the glass cabinet crowd.

I also would imagine that the wedding party folks become buyers of lenses,
Leica bags, ball heads, and anything with the BRD (big red dot) on it. It is
conceivable that there is a Leica rep on hand to take orders from the tuxedo
and taffeta clad guests, for ASPH lenses and extended waranties in the lobby
outside the receptions.

At my wedding we gave all of our guests a $20.00 crystal candle holder. None
of them complained, but had we given away M6s with our likeness (or would it
be Leicaness) engraved on the top, we would have been immediately
impovershed. Life is just not fair.
Regards,

Ben W. Holmes
Boulder, CO