Subject: Ferdinand's New M6
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 11:36:31 -0400

Dear Fellow LUGnuts,

I find it ironic that when Ferdinand finally got his M6 that the frame
counter broke.  This was one of the "most likely to fail" items that was
brought up with multiple posts on the LUG.

I sometimes take the reliability of my M6's and now R8 for granted.  I take
good care of them and expect them to work.  The only real preventative for
camera failure is system redundancy.  So now that I have one R8, I should
take Ted's lead and order another one.  But not until Leica delivers a
winder.  Macro work on a copy stand just yells out for a winder.

The camera works well on a copy stand with the mirror lock up and 2 second
delay timer for each shot.  Unfortunately the way the system works now -
you have to re-initialize the self timer every time you want to use it.
When the camera is on a copy stand, its not always easy to reach up to the
top of the camera back when it is turned around backwards.  Too bad you
can't leave the 2 sec delay timer on until you tell the camera to cancel
this function.

I guess you can't have everything. I could still be shooting with a Canon
F1 and a Vivitar Series 1 macro lens.  The R8 is so much more fun and the
100 Apo macro is the best lens I have at this point.

Happy shooting,

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD
West Chester, PA, USA