Subject: Obsessions
From: Oddmund Garvik <garvik@serveur.interliger.fr>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 18:09:16

Carl Socolow wrote:
<snip>
>'I don't understand the tripod, John,' said the master of The Decisive
>Moment.
>
>What I find wonderful about using my M Leicas is that they are hand
>holdable down to 1/8 or 1/4. Sometimes there is camera shake. Sometimes
>there isn't. But an image can be successful with either. A technical
>obsession with ultra-crispness, just because the optics are capable,
>does not necessarily make for a good photograph. Selah!>>

Eh bien,

Since no one picked up this little pearl, I will...

The technical obsession with ultra-crispness, or whatever is a disease,
unfortunately very prevalent among certain Leica users. Finally it's just
the old story about content, (or no content). If you don't have any
particular purpose beyond your own pleasure, it is easy getting lost in the
techno wilderness, forgetting about what pictures and photography are all
about. Strange, however, a Leica M is so simple...

Oddmund