Subject: Re: M&R B&W/Totally and absolutely meaningless information
From: ted grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 21 Aug 97 17:19:45 EDT

Richard Hemingway wrote:

<<<Having nothing better to do, while watching the golf match, I, more or
less - accuracy not quaranteed, counted the porfolio pictures printed in
LFI from the March 1990 issue to date. I didn't count the photos printed
in news stories, nor in "how to do it" or equipment articles.  >>>>>>>

Richard,
Man you have to stop drinking whatever they're serving in the taps of Norman,
Oklahoma! I mean I know they have corn as high as an elephants' eye, but the
moonshine from the corn must be something else! :)

Golf isn't the most exciting high speed sport in the world at any time, but
counting images in LFI ain't no high speed event either. :)

Just imagine if you were out shooting some really cool R8 pictures  and the
great images you could have captured, maybe someone would be counting how many
neat images you had in LFI! :)

<<<<But - Why do people take more B&W with the M cameras - and more color
with the R cameras??? (Or is it a myth and LFI just prints in these
ratios???)>>>>>

I know in my own case I have rarely shot colour with the M cameras at any time,
it just never occured to me to do it, other than when I'm doing magical things
with the Noctilux at f.1.  Then that is a different ball game than shooting
scenics and the many other events I do for a living and for fun.

Using the R cameras I relate much differently to the colour of the situation
than I do and have with the M. I think it has something to do with the isolation
factor of the SLR rather than the see everything of the M viewfinder.

And it is the opposite when working in B&W, the M comes first simply because I'm
seeing the content instead of the colour, or lets say I'm relating to the
content differently with the M than in the viewfinder of the R. That is not to
say that I don't shoot B&W with the R cameras and in some situations more R than
M, but it is the the lens length rather than subject that dictates it's use and
reaching for a tighter image when you can't get closer. Besides I hate anything
longer than a 90mm on the M, and at times I think the 90mm is too long
preferring to use the 80mm 1.4 or Apo 100mm on the R.

<<< counted the porfolio pictures printed in LFI from the March 1990 issue to
date.>>>>>

So what other exciting things do you do in life besides counting LFI photos in
between a guy hitting a little white ball and trying to get into a little hole
in the ground? :)

ted