Subject: Can this Leica be saved?
From: "David Freedman" <dpfreedman@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 20:57:13 -0400

When a friend's father passed away last year, I was given his old Leica
IIIf (at least that's what I was told it is). The camera is in pretty good
shape cosmetically except for the fact that an attempt had been made to
scratch off the Leica name on the top deck. I take this to mean that the
camera was brought into the U.S. privately during the period when Customs
required this effacement to prove that it hadn't been brought in by the
official U.S. agent. The lens is a 50mm/3.5 Elmar.

Unfortunately, one of the shutter curtains has jumped out of its track
rendering the camera unusable. Also, the rangefinder patch is almost
invisible.  Is it economically feasible (or even possible) to have this
repaired?  Is it worth doing? If so, can anyone recommend a competent
repair shop?

I know next to nothing about new or old rangefinder Leicas so any
assistance would be much appreciated.

Regards,

David Freedman