Subject: 80-200 R Zoom Question
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 22:15:25 -0400

Dear Fellow LUGnuts,

Since I seem to be leaning toward the R8 camp more these days, I'm becoming
more interested in getting a longer focal length zoom lens.  I use the new
35-70 R zoom and am very pleased with the results.  The f4 maximum aperture
doesn't seem to be a problem since I shoot at f5.6 for a lot of things
anyway.

I read Leica's literature on the new 80-200 f4 R zoom and it seems to fill
that medium telephoto gap for me.  I have heard rave reviews about the
70-180 R Apo-Zoom but don't want to invest that much money in a zoom lens
at this time.  I think the US prices are $1945 for the 80-200 and $5995 for
the 70-180 Apo zoom.  My paychecks can't keep up with my Leica needs.

Has anyone compared Leica's two medium telephoto zoom lenses (the 80-200
and the 70-180)?

I didn't think I'd ever become interested in a Leica SLR let alone a zoom
lens.  The part of the R8 that literally blows me away is the accuracy of
the meter.  It even make's my exposures look good.  I thought I did a
fairly decent job with the central "spot" meter in the M6.  The accuracy of
my R8 is heads and tails above it.  I shot some group portraits lit by
three candles on a table in front.  I used the 35-70 set on 35mm and the R8
meter set on intregrated.  The slides show facial expressions without
washing out the candles.  I wish I could take credit for the exposure but
the camera did it all.  Now I am wondering whether Leica would consider
improving the meter in the M6 to somehow include some of the advantages of
the R8.  I'm sure that's a tall order for any mechanical engineer.

Happy shooting,

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD
West Chester, PA, USA