Subject: Re: 80-200 R Zoom Question
From: jay coleman <jcoleman@interport.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 20:42:24 -0400

Richard:

I had an 80-200/4 zoom.  I didn't like it that much.  It is a compromise
in speed and weight -- f4 to make it light -- and I found I did not like
the compromise.  It was both too heavy and too slow.  That being said, I
got rid of it partly because I had a problem with the 3-cam version on
the R8 -- it does not show maximum aperture (so if you get one, get the
ROM version) -- and partly because I wanted other lenses instead.  If I
had more money, I might buy another one for those occasions when I
wanted the range of focal lengths and did not need speed.  I like the
fixed focal legth lenses Leica offers -- they are slightly better than
the zooms except, I hear, the 70-180 APO, which is to expensive and too
heavy.  I use Leica because it has the best optics and do not need the
convenience of zoom with corresponding quality loss.  The loss is
_slight_.  If you like the 35-70/4 you might like the 80-200/4 and not
mind the slow max. aperture.  It is a good lens and worth checking out.
Personally, it was not for me now.

Jay Coleman