Subject: My "new" Summicron
From: "Roy Zartarian" <royzart@connix.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 11:20:46 +0000

It seems about time to toss in something other than a comment on
Leni.

About 2 months ago I picked up a 50 mm Summicron (1969 vintage) and
was somewhat disappointed in the flare that appeared in some prints
in the first roll.  A really close inspection showed some fogging on
elements I could not easily get at.  So off it went to Sherry Krauter
for a re-lube and a thorough scrubbing.

The first post-cleaning prints just came back.  All I can say is
"Wow!" The sharpness, contrast and color I wanted are now there.
Some shots into the sky show that the service resolved the original
problem.  Obviously, we need to keep in mind the value of a periodic
internal lens cleaning by someone who knows how to put things back
together without any little pieces left over.

The lens itself has a bit of significance. My M4 bears a 1969 serial
number.  That was also the year when an institution of higher
education, somewhat tired of my presence, awarded me a baccalaureate
degree.  Too bad my mind no longer works as well as the lens. :-)
Written by:
   Roy C. Zartarian
   http://www.connix.com/~royzart
   "A prophet is not without honor except in his
    own land and among his own people"