Subject: Re: A question
From: "Roy C. Zartarian" <royzart@connix.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 15:21:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 24 Aug 1997, Gary J Toop wrote:

> diagnose an intermittent problem with my (beloved) M-3, which has been
> spoiling a certain number of shots.  What is does is to leave a horizontal
> band of over-exposed film near but not up to the  top the frame.  Usually
> the band is slightly wider at the left end of the final print than the
> right and the amount of over-exposure across the band is not even but
> increases as you move towards the top of the frame.  The amound of
> over-exposure varies from being barely visible to being enough to
> seriously obsure the image.

A horizontal band would, I think, eliminate a shutter mechanism
malfunction.  The band would be vertical.  "Been there, done that" as the
saying goes.  My guess is a pinhole in one of the shutter curtains and
that the problem occurs when you don't advance the film immediately after
tripping the shutter.

Let us know how this one turns out

Written by:	Roy C. Zartarian	| Prophets are not without honor
		25 Stuart Street	| except in their own country
		Newington, CT 06111 USA	| and in their own house.
		http://www.connix.com/~royzart