Subject: Light Tents
From: "David W. Almy" <dalmy@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 23:39:56 -0400

Richard Clompus wrote:

> David,
>
> Thanks for the bracketing advice.  You are so right with that
> recommendation.  Hopefully the lighting principals I used will come through
> for me.  I'll know tomorrow by noon when the chromes comes back.  I have a
> great deal of appreciation for the high quality work that is used in
> product illustrations and print ads.  I'm strictly am amateur trying to do
> an above average job.  I'm still not good enough at this point to quit my
> "day job" <bg>
>
> Hoping for the best,
>
> Richard
>
> PS.  Do you use Leica brand helium filled balloons to lighten the load when
> photographing with the 180 Summicron lens?

Richard,

My smart-alec suggestion about bracketing as half serious. What I like
best about your posts is your earnestness. Ted's good, lots of practice,
and speaks with many enthusiastic miles under his belt. You have the
same enthusiasm but with the airs of a student. You need to make a
thousand mistakes (as I have) before you really realize how much you
have left ot learn. BTW, my thinking may be dated, but I have never
heard of someone doing tent work using flouscents. Everyone uses
tungsten or daylight (though studio windows). But maybe not? Using black
velvet as the background? Disappears. Or a mirror? See underneath the
instruments. Get silver catalogs and look in the reflections of the
curved surfaces to see how they do it, in detail. Also, check out photos
of convex antique American mirrors. It goes on and on.

Keep learning. And teaching. Your excitment is contagious.

BTW, I am learning how to use the R8, 100 and 180. Shot 300 pix over the
last week (Outer Banks vacation). We'll see this week how things look.
I'll write a report when I know enough.

DWA