Subject: Leica R zoom lenses
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 13:20:24 -0400

Lucien wrote:

<snip>
I don't understand why in the past Leica had modified the 35-70/3,5 to
permit the use of the polarising filter, and now they make two new zoom
(35-70 and 28-70, yes there is a new one) who are build in a way it is not
possible to use it.(But the new 80-200 does !?)
<snip>

The Leica literature I have read seems to indicate that making the zoom
lenses both lighter and shorter required them to make a decision to give up
a front end that doesn't turn when you focus.  It is a problem when using
polarizing filters.  On the other hand, if you don't use polarizing filters
that often, the new 35-70/4 is a real gem.  It seems to work especially
well with the R8 that has a bright enough viewfinder that the f4 is not a
problem.  I haven't tried it with the 2X apo adapter but Leica literature
says the combination will work and is optically sound.

Leica seems to be on a roll with updating their lens designs.  Short focal
length M lenses seem to be acquiring aspheric elements since Leica has been
able to produce them at a "reasonable" cost.  Longer focal length lenses
seem to be going apochromatic.  I heard recently that the 90mm R lenses
will go "apo" next.

I still have my sights set on a 24mm aspheric M lens with finder.  The 24mm
R lens seems to be  a Minolta design.  Perhaps the 24mm R lens will get a
make over as well.  I keep a wish list of Leica equipment that I need.
Unfortunately, as I check lenses off the list, it seems to grow all the
time.  The 19/2 R wide angle would seem to be a worthy acquisition.  My
wallet is   almost empty.  I should quit while I'm still able to buy lunch.

Happy shooting,

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD
West Chester, PA, USA