Subject: Upside-down viewfinders
From: Joe Berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 19:20:54 +0100 (BST)

At 20:32 26/08/97 -0400, you wrote:
><snip>
>>I think I remember reading somewhere that he used a viewfinder modified to
>give him an inverted (upside-down) image as an aid in seeing a composition
>better.  I think this is true and not just another myth about HCB.
><snip>
>
>That would be a very interesting accessory.  I have often wondered if the
>composition used for a view camera could be applied to an M Leica.  Perhaps
>if I take a screwdriver and remove the front element of a 50mm external
>viewer, I can get it to image upside down.
>Very interesting idea.  Perhaps one of the most original ideas I have seen
>on this list.
>Richard

I've always liked the sound of this but never actually tried to get an
upside-down viewfinder. But the optics may not need to be very complex- I
know I can get an upside down image if I hold a Rolleiflex TLR on its side
and look through the viewfinder... If anyone knows of an upside down
accessory viewfinder- please divulge!

Joe Berenbaum