Subject: Re: Leica R-24/2,8 makeover
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 21:55:29 -0700

>>Jim wrote :
>>
>>One of my favorites. I bought it in 1976.
>>It has been exemplary.
>>
>>And why would it need a makeover?

>Lucien wrote:
>
>The serie filter is not very convenient, specially with polarising,
>when you want to change it.
>A makeover in the same way as the new R-28/2,8 will be great.
>

>Lucien

Jim is writing:

As I said, I've had my 24R lens since 1976. It has seen thousands of frames
of film, and 99% of these have been through a series 8 polarizer, in the
shade, and turned via the knob on the shade. It still works today like it
did in 1976. I also have E60 screw-in warming and conversion filters that
work great. If I need some filter plus a polarizer, I use that filter in
E60 then use a 67EW polarizer with a 67-60 stepdown ring. This isn't used
very often, but when needed, it works well. The 67EW is from my 28mmPC.

In my humble opinion:
If they re-design the 24 and leave it an E60, then it's no different than
what it is now. I suspect that a built-in shade wouldn't be worth much on a
24mm lens. It would have to come straight out from the barrel and wouldn't
be long enough to be effective. The 12523 shade is very effective. Shaped
for the 35mm format to give maximum coverage. Perhaps an ASPH version? I'm
not sure why since the current lens performs extremely well. Maybe they
will need more space for a ROM?

But... who knows what lurks in the minds of Leica... I do know that I will
not give-up my current 24 for a new version. I have NEVER been disappointed
with the performance of my "Minolta" Leica 24mm lens, s/n 2767671. It has
been my humble servant for a very long time.

Jim