Subject: M6 problem Survey
From: "Ferdinand U. LuDo" <fld@mozcom.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 17:57:37 +0800

Hello Luggers,

I'd like to thank you to those luggers that have participated in my latest
survey which was finding out the serial # of your
problematic/non-problematic M6. When I say non-problematic, it means that
from the time of purchase the camera never gave problems till present time
unless it was sent to the shop for CLA, change of meter due to wanting a
more sensitive meter, the camera was dropped by accident.

In regards to the problematic cameras, that means that during the 1st year
of ownership, the camera had to be sent to the shop for some repairs. In my
survey, the #1 problem was "faulty frame counter", followed by rangefinder
focusing problems needing to be tweaked due to misalignment problems. Other
rare problems include, shutter problems @ slow speeds, and meter problems.
But these were really rare.

26 Leica M6 participated in the survey. Some owners had more than 1 M6 so
it was included.

The problem free M6 are years 1985-1994 totalled (13) M6's. There were also
(7) M6's made in 1995-1996 that were trouble free suprisingly !

The problematic M6 are years 95-96, maybe 97's but I'm not sure of the
serial #, there were 6 of them out of the 26 M6's. In short, if you buy a
later M6 like the ones made in 1995-1996, you have a 50% of getting a
problematic M6 which most likely will stem from a faulty frame counter & at
times isolated case of rf adjustments. That includes the recent M6 I bought
recently !

Regards

Ferdinand