Subject: R8 report (Yosemite etc..)
From: Lucien_vD <Lucien_vD@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 08:43:10 -0400

 LUGers,

After this nice trip, here is what I have to say about the R8.

First I have to confirm that it is the easiest reflex camera I ever use.
It is almost idiot proof.(good for me)
It is really difficult to make a mistake.
If you do, you noticied it immediately in the viewfinder, who by the way =
is
superb and complete.
You can change in a second the exposure metering system (selective,
integral or multi-pattern)
The same for the program mode + on-off.
On tripod, the mirror lock-up + the 2 seconds self-timer is the smartest
system I ever seen for that purpose. When you lock the mirror, the
exposition is memorized for each new photography.
The film handling is really easy, fast and reliable. No failure.
I don't understand the critic of "Chasseur d'Images" about it.
The multi-pattern is fantastic, during the first week I check it all the
time with the selective meter and even a separate lightmeter and I find i=
smarther than me.
After using it during 3 weeks (+100 X 36exp.), when I take an other body =
in
hands (like the others R cameras, Nikon FM2 etc..) I feel that they are
difficult to hold (to small, and no grip).The only body I know who is
comparable in that respect is the F5.(heavier) (I suspect the EOS 1N,
Contax AX etc..give the same feeling)
I only miss the winder (not really).

Regarding the 80-200/4, it is a joy to use with it the R8.

What I really miss are both a 21-35/2,8 ASPH and a 35-90/2,8 APO-ASPH :-)=
 .
(I used instead a 50/2 and a 28/2,8.)

By the way, the images are well exposed and quite sharp.(Leica look)

:-)

Lucien
BELGIUM

 =