Subject: Re: Marc Riboud Show
From: Detlef Beyer <d.beyer@hermes.de>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 1997 08:56:39 +0200

>full aperture, sunset and the right film) When one sees or think to see
>a difference, I can understand that he or she goes for a Leica. But,
>when you don't....
>
>Please help me out on this.

Hi Alexander,

maybe there is a differnce - maybe not. But IMHO the difference is so
marginal it just doesn't matter and for shure is never worth the high price
of the Leicas... Take a look at the well known Magnum book "Faces" and tell
me wich pictures are taken with "modern" lenses, wich with non-coated
lenses... the photographer is the only important parameter.
So why did I pay so much money for the M6? I don't know how to describe
this in english - but the M6 fits perfectly to my hands and (more
important) to my eyes. I can "feel" taking a picture with the M6... and
there is no alternative to this kind of camera for me.
I allways had problems to understand why people are buying the R line of
Leica. In my eyes they pay a lot to get a red dot on the body and to get
the feeling "now I'm having a perfect camera and I will get perfect
images"... IMHO its just stupid to buy a bulky and heavy 50/1.0 lens just
to own "the best" on earth...

Detlef

<LEICA IMAGES> http://www.hermes.de/chile/ </LEICA IMAGES>