Subject: Off Leica topic Re: Di's Driver Drunken 1.75 prom. (was: Paparazzi ...)
From: Michael Leitheiser <flyh2o@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 1997 12:16:50 -0700

Marc, you must be a defense attorney......
   Over 20 years ago when I was in law school several of us went through the
exercise (controlled) of drinking over a period of time and going through
the standard sobriety tastes at various stages of consumption.  With the
exception of myself (younger than now, but still older and slower than the
rest) most of the subjects were young, fit and in most cases fairly
experienced members of the late night drinking scene.  Without exception,
video tapes of the sessions revealed a difference in the reactions of the
pre .08 (estimated) results than in the post (.08) results....actual BAC was
measured only at the end of the session and was about .150 on the
average....all agreed that we were pretty well loaded at that point, only
the most assertive (Might add that they were also the most obnoxious drunks)
contended that they were still fit to drive...on the theory that they were
used to driving that way, but not used to walking straight lines etc..

At 06:29 PM 9/1/97 +0000, you wrote:
>To keep this in perspective, American readers should know that this is .175
>parts per thousand.  This is a high level, but not unwieldy:  a regular
>drinker should not have his or her reflexes too badly affected at this
>level, though a tyro alcoholic might well be staggering at .08.  It depends
>on a LOT of factors, not simply Blood Alcohol Content, though the US Jesus
>Freaks would have us so believe.
>
>Pray, let's not act like a bunch of vociferous and judgemental idiots.
>
>Marc
>

>msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
>Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!

Mike Leitheiser

"When the trout are lost, smash the state."
                                   Tom McGuane