Subject: Re: Leica-Users List Digest V1 #627
From: JayPax@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 1997 16:32:05 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 97-09-01 04:30:23 EDT, Listmgr@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
writes:

<<
 Tell people to stop reading trash celebrity pulp magazines and newspapers.
 That would be a start. To censor even these people whom we in the
 photojournalism world despise (and no, they don't usually use Leica, it
 doesn't AF - but that's on topic too to mention it <g>) in the U.S. anyway
 is totally contrary to the constitution. If we don't protect everyone, then
 we can't protect anyone. No matter how repugnant we thing they are.

 Cut off the money, and the vermin go away.

I agree, Eric.  Everyone who buys those trashy tabloid magazines in a small
way shares in the events that led to her death.  If the money was not in it,
the paparazzi would disappear overnight.  I think our western culture is very
sick....with the obsessions about personalities and celebrity worship.  I
have absolutely no interest who anyone is dating...going to bed with, etc.  I
have never understood the obsessive interest of some in our culture over
public personalites such as Princess Di, movie stars, etc. and their private
lives.  It is that sick interest that sells tabloids.

The same morbid interest continues even after her tragic death.  As I write
this on Monday, the TV is spouting continuoulsly NOTHING but Di stories.
 Interviews with Paparazzi....and what does this celeb think about her
death....and what does that celeb think about her death.....and what does
this person think ............and that person think...etc.  It seems that the
same obsessive interest that fueled the conditions that indirectly led to her
death, continues, being further fed by the media frenzy.

I am not in any way denigrating her memory, the good things she did, or the
pain felt by her family and those who really knew her, over her untimely
death.  But for the rest of us, to the degree that our interest goes beyond
normal sadness and natural human empathy, the continuing curiosity we see
being played out in the media today over this tragedy is in my opinion very
sick.

In all the hollering we are now likely to hear about how we need to pass laws
to protect public personalitles from tabloid photographers, what will escape
most people is that we just simply need to quit buying tabloid magazines,
watching tabloid TV, etc., and get a life.....focusing on the really
important things of life.  The things that really matter are family, the
worship of God, and living a life pleasing to Him in this short time we are
here on earth.  The real victims in all this (besides Diana herself) are her
two boys, who now face their difficult teen age years without their mother.
 May God comfort and bless them.

Soapbox off.