Subject: Re: Di's Driver Drunken 1.75 prom. (was: Paparazzi ...)
From: Welch <Bill.Welch@pressroom.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 1997 18:17:29 -0700

> To keep this in perspective, American readers should know that this is .175
> parts per thousand.  This is a high level, but not unwieldy:  a regular
> drinker should not have his or her reflexes too badly affected at this
> level, though a tyro alcoholic might well be staggering at .08.  It depends
> on a LOT of factors, not simply Blood Alcohol Content, though the US Jesus
> Freaks would have us so believe.

To clarify the above: The French measurement is different from that used
in the US. The driver's blood alcohol content, according to wire
accounts, was 1.75 grams per liter of blood. That translates into the US
system of percentages as 0.23 percent. That is more than twice the legal
limit in most states (of 0.10), as I understand it. Some BAC converters
indicate this would be the equivalent of 10 to 11 glasses of wine for a
man of average size.