Subject: Re: The Leica Challenge Cup! Playoff!
From: Gary J Toop <gtoop@uoguelph.ca>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 1997 23:25:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 1 Sep 1997, Eric Welch wrote:

Snip
> Yes, Sam Abel uses Leica SLRs. His book "Stay This Moment" is his magnum
> opus, and it's simply filled with absolutely gorgeous pictures, many of
> which demonstrate the Leica look. I understand he uses Olympus for exotic
> lenses that Leica doesn't have, but mostly Leica.
>
> Don't get me wrong, he'd be a great photographer using Ricoh. David Allen
> Harvey, another NG photographer, once told me that most Geographic
> photographers consider Sam Abel the greatest artist at NG.

	Interesting!  For  the record, the cover that I spotted and
another  one also by Sam Abel, jumped out at my from a pile of NGs of the
same vintage as having what I would call "the Leica look".  When I looked
to see who had taken them, I saw that they were taken by Sam Abel and I
had the feeling that I had heard that he used Leica gear.  When I spotted
them, I had no idea who had taken them.  Perhaps the feature that most
struck my eye was the three-dimensional feel of the images.

Interesting.
Gary