Subject: Re: off topic/my opinion on Salgado "Terra"
From: Kari Eloranta <kve@dopey.hut.fi>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 12:39:11 +0300 (EET DST)

> From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
> >Hi Lugs
> >Do you have any idea what kind of lens and bodies did Salgado use for this
> >work  ?
>
> Leica R and M cameras. M6 and R6 now. Mostly 28mm and 35mm and 50mm lenses.
> He also uses the 90mm some, but rarely anything longer than 50. Tri-X and
> TMax P3200 are his films of choice.

Not exactly. At least until very recently he used R6.2, three of them for
a typical assignement. Mostly with 28, 35 and 60, the macro one. Sometimes
80-200.

TMZ he rates from 1600 all the way to 12800. Mostly the former - otherwise
one just cannot make those 14 by 21 prints for exhibits. And still the
uniform areas are like concerete (see Workers).

Both the image quality and content of his earlier work (Sahel, Other
Americas and Uncertain Grace) appeals to me more than the latter (Workers
and Terra). I suspect that he used more M in his early days (the image
smoothness and the way how he captured motion in the 1/15 realm). At
any rate the more recent work seems either massive but not capture life as
a whole (W) or otherwise too narrowly defined (T). I think that Luiz's
comment on the too transparent political motivation is good. IMHO Other
Americas and Uncertain Grace are sublime pieces that will probably live
centuries.

Kari Eloranta