Subject: Re: TriX / Microdol / Rodinal
From: omegaman@shentel.net
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 00:32:52 -0400

Ian Stanley wrote:

> At 09:58 AM 97-09-03 +1000, you wrote:
> > >  Microdol is neither a compensating developer nor will it produce
> >edge
> > >  effect.
> >
> >Jim and Kari,
> >
> >Thanks for your replies - now to build on my limited photographic
> >education . . . what is a compensating developer?
> >
> >Regards,
> >Rob.
> >
> Hello Rob,
>
>         According to Ansel Adams, The Negative, page 188 - "A compensating
> developer combines the properties of low-contrast development in the
> high-value areas, and higher-contrast development in the shadows.  The
> effect is to bring out subtle differences in tones in shadowed areas of the
> subject that the can perceive but that are often beyond the capacity of the
> film to separate decisively with the usual developers".
>
>         Leica Fotografie International 7-94, had an interesting article on
> Stocklers 2 bath developer - this is the only compensating developer that I
> have tried.  Apparently this developer was developed by Heinrich Stockler,
> who started working for Leitz Wetzlar in 1929.  This is a two bath
> developer, the first bath is metol & sodium sulphite and the second bath
> consists of borax.  This developer was being sold by Williams of Hove in
> England but I am not sure if it is still for sale.  If my memory serves me
> right there is a member of the LUG close to there that might be able to
> check that out for us.  Failing that their e-mail address is
> leica@mistral.co.uk.
>
>         I tried this developer for awhile, but for me availability was a problem.
> I found the negatives processed in this developer were extremely easy to
> print but the formation of air bubbles on the film was more prevalent than
> any other developer I have ever used.  I have copies of a couple of
> magazine articles that Williams of Hove gave me the last time I was there
> and the reviews of the developer was good.  If you want more information
> from the articles please let me know.
Ian:
Cheaper to just mix Stoeckler's Two-Bath:
     A Bath
5 grams Metol (Elon) - thats about level 1/2 tablespoon if you can
borrow one of the plastic kitchen types
100 grams Sodium Sulfite - about 4 tablespoons and an extra pinch
in 1,000 cc water (warm)
     B Bath
10 grams Borax in 1,000 cc water - 10 grams Borax is about one "rounded
1/2 tablespoon dipper

Develop at any temperature between 65 and 80 deg. for 15 minutes in A
and 2 minutes in B
Randolph Carlisle